Want to freshen up your look for the new year? In this guide, we explore the top trending shoes for men in 2020.
Brogues are one of the top trending shoes for men in 2020. A brogue is a type of men’s dress shoe that features broguing i.e. a way of decorating shoes with elaborate perforations. Less formal than Oxfords, Brogues are highly versatile and can be dressed up or down for almost any occasion. For a more polished look leather is best, whereas suede styles are ideal for casual ensembles. For a top-quality brogue that has been made to last, we recommend Barker or Loake.
Brogues: Styling Tips for Men
- Formal Outfits: Try to match the shades of your shoe with your outfit. For example, a black or dark brown brogue looks best with black or grey.
- Smart Casual Outfits: Wear your brogues with a pair of chinos along with a shirt or blazer.
- Casual Outfits: Brogues can be worn with jeans all-year round. Go for a detailed style with a chunky sole for a more rugged look or select a simple suede pair for an elegant effect.
For a look that truly stands the test of time, you simply can’t beat combat boots. This style takes inspiration from the footwear worn by soldiers since World War 2. As such, they are a great way to add a sense of toughness and resilience to your ensemble. Combat boots offer an effortless means of elevating a simple look and can take you from work to the weekend with ease. For a classic men’s combat boot style, we recommend Doc Martens.
Combat Boots: Styling Tips for Men
- Avoid bottoms that are too long, otherwise the leg of your boot won’t be visible. Go for trousers or jeans that have a cropped fit or roll up the hems yourself.
- If you are wearing dark brown or black boots, choose an outfit that has a dark colour palette and features heavy-duty fabrics (e.g. denim or leather).
Simple yet sophisticated, Chelsea boots can be dressed up or down and can be worn throughout the year. Chelsea Boots are lace-less so they easily slip on and off the foot. You can also recognise Chelsea Boots from the elasticated gussets on their sides. The Chelsea Boot has been a menswear favourite ever since its invention in the Victorian era when it was originally designed to be used as a riding boot. This style really took off in the 1960s – when they were worn by style icons such as the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Chelsea boots are still trending today, and have become synonymous with a timeless mod, rock and roll style.
Chelsea Boots: Styling Tips for Men
- For a sophisticated formal look, opt for leather Chelsea Boots with a polished or patent finish.
- If you’re going for a more casual affect, pair your outfit with a suede Chelsea boots.
- Chelsea boots sit higher on your foot than most shoes, so make sure that your trouser leg sits just over the top of your boots.
White trainers are a key element of the current Sportsluxe trend. Mainline Menswear define Sportsluxe as:
Inspired by sportswear combined with a sleek twist … this trend is easy to master by matching your tailored apparel with your casual attire to achieve a relaxed and comfortable outfit.
Choosing a stylish pair of white trainers is a great way to add a contemporary edge to an outfit. To achieve the right effect, go for a simple, streamlined style with minimal branding. To get the look right, we advise going for shoe made from leather or canvas. Converse are a classic choice for this look.
White Trainers: Styling Tips for Men
- Choose the simplest shoes you can find.
- Try to keep the shoes as clean as possible to keep your look on point.
- Pair them with smart clothes that you want to dress down or casual clothes that you want to dress up.
- White trainers go especially well with black jeans.
More and more discerning footwear fans are turning to shoes made from sustainable materials. Not only are sustainable shoes better for the environment, but they are also great for your feet as the natural materials used will allow them to breathe more easily.
Timberland is a great example of a sustainable shoe brand. They are working towards a goal of producing footwear that includes at least one component that contains recycled, organic or renewable material.
Boat/ Deck shoes were first designed in the 1930s for sailors who needed a comfortable, light shoe with anti-slip qualities to wear while on board a boat. In recent years, they have become a popular casual shoe for the summertime. These slip-on shoes offer an easy-to-wear alternative to runners or sandals; however, they look a little sharper and can be paired with dressier outfits. Boat shoes are typically made from either canvas or leather. Canvas is good for casual everyday wear, whereas leather styles are more durable and smarter-looking. For a stylish and robust pair of boat shoes, you can’t do better than Dubarry.
Boat Shoes: Styling Tips for Men
- As boat shoes are quite low-cut it’s best to wear them with “no-show” socks to give the illusion of bare ankles.
- Deck shoes have traditionally been associated with preppy style, so they look best when paired with polo shirts, blazers and shorts.
- The low-cut of boat shoes means that they go very nicely with cropped pants.
- For a style that will go with both casual and smarter looks, we recommend choosing a dark brown colour.